Many people in the world, especially those from developing countries suffer from severe food deprivation daily. One may wonder why even with the fact that the planet produces enough food that can feed everyone. However, the causes of global hunger are poverty, climatic change, economic slowdown, conflict, and instability among others. Its characteristics include insufficient intake of balanced diets, its diverse and devastating effects on its victims call for urgent attention.
Moreover, adopting precision farming and Blockchain Tech can eliminate global hunger in many ways. Precision farming uses a series of tools and strategies that are environmentally friendly to improve crop performance and food production. Blockchain Tech is a decentralized system or structure that records information in a manner that is difficult for people to cheat, change or hack. Then, how can these two eliminate global hunger? Let’s see!
How Precision Farming Can Eliminate Global Hunger.
The world’s population has increased exponentially in the recent decades with a corresponding increase in food demand. Hence, it’s essential to have a sustainable food production model that will not compromise with the soil and environmental quality. Precision farming uses the latest tools and technology to maximize yields and profits via measuring and analyzing critical data points.
Precision farming provides farmers with helpful advanced technological devices like in-ground sensors, drones, semi-automated steered vehicles, and variable dosage rates. It also provides them with farm robots etc. for planting, monitoring, and harvesting crops while revolutionizing farming and keeping workers safe. This method of farming helps farmers to carry out the right intervention at the right time and in the right place. They can effectively respond to the specific demands of unit crops and land portions to enhance productivity.
Unlike the traditional method of farming, Precision farming has a lot of environmental, economic, and social advantages. It targets to increase the overall Return on Investment (ROI) by reducing input rate, increasing the quality and amount of yields. The process includes many things such as:
- Soil level measurement
- Seed distribution
- Pesticide distribution/ pest and insect monitoring
- Hydration application and monitoring
- Seed planting time analysis
- Crop optimum time for harvesting
However, the advantages of Precision farming are:
- It reduces the use of pesticides by allowing farmers to apply them only to the targeted portions instead of mass distribution.
- Saves fuel and fertilizer
- It reduces food waste by ensuring efficient crop yields with minimal resources at high-quality standards. This is the main aim of precision farming and can help in eliminating global hunger.
- Provides safer working conditions for farmers or farmworkers
How Blockchain Tech Can Eliminate Global Hunger
From the process of food production, transportation and storage, research has shown that a good quantity of food gets ruined. This implies that while the world is fighting to eliminate global hunger some foods become waste before getting to retailers. However, the simple and easily accessed technology that can checkmate these issues is the blockchain.
The concept of blockchain technology is to have a decentralized, automated, and secured system for storing data. It provides a single place to determine the movement of goods, and no individual can alter a transaction once the system records it. It’s a technology that can support various applications used by industries such as supply chain, manufacturing, and finance, etc.
Normally, before a transaction process is completed, information and data go through intermediaries like lawyers, brokers, or bankers. This long process is typical of a traditional banking system, and it increases either the transaction cost, time, or both. Blockchain technology uses an automated peer-to-peer mechanism that processes transactions faster, saving both transaction cost and time.
The Role of Blockchain Technology in Eliminating the Global Hunger
- It’s used to fight food loss via tracking the supply chain movement. It predicts the freshness of harvest from the farm via the processing and supply chain stops. This can be done by applying blockchain supply-demand algorithms based on agricultural science and consumer behavior to data gotten from blockchain tech.
- Blockchain technology, through its decentralized mechanism, facilitates money transfers with no high bank fees or charges. It doesn’t require more documentation like the traditional banks, irrespective of the amount involved.
- Farmers can connect easily to one another in a peer-to-peer network. This makes it easier to reach out to local farmers and assist them in overcoming their various challenges. For instance, farmer A can easily post a question and receive answers from colleagues in various parts of the country. The blockchain smart algorithm matches the question to other farmers that can provide relevant answers.
The network also uses SMS technology in sending messages to people in areas with low internet access.
- Blockchain technology ensures the availability of important food information like temperature, safety certificates, and delivery dates, etc. It allows firms to trace and promptly remove their recalled products due to contamination or foodborne illnesses and enhances food safety. They use it to checkmate food fraud via the development of an authentication blockchain platform.
The global food industry needs to embrace precision farming and blockchain technology in its fight to eliminate hunger. This approach will help to increase agricultural labor efficiency, product quality, and supply chain transparency. Precision farming centers on increased production and product quality, while the blockchain is on supply chain management, food safety, and the elimination of food waste.
However, both technologies are agents of increased food production and supply., By leveraging these existing technologies, there would be accountability and transparency in the food industry. This will certainly make the elimination of global hunger a more realistic goal.